Thursday 11 June 2009

They make some shit films sometimes.

Greetings Blogites.

Its been a while, but then there aren’t many of you, so why waste my time? Nothing else to do. Yes, indeed…

Seen a couple more flicks you’ll be glad to know. I’ll start with the one that was most shit. And it really was shit. Lost Boys II – The Tribe. Lost Boys, the classic vampire romp is OK, quite fun, but not a great movie. So as you can imagine I had high hopes for the over a decade later straight to DVD sequel featuring one member of the original cast. Corey something or the other, Feldman? Who decided to put on a Christian Bale voice for the part. Bale can barely get away with it, this guy cannot in any way.

This film truly blew. Lowest rate vampire movie. The only thing that didn’t suck were the actually production values. Nothing great, but it looks goo enough, no really shockingly bad effects or camera work. Don’t see this film. When watching it, my friends and I wondered and lamented about how such terrible ideas are given millions of dollars to realise as the turd pile they are, when so many good original ideas are passed on, because executives are too afraid to take a chance. It breaks your heart. D-

Then Red Eye was on TV. Wes Craven tries his hand at the physiological thriller fare. It has Cillian Murphy in it, and I had high hopes for him, liked him a LOT in Batman Begins. And to be fair, he was good in it. Far better than the material he was working with. The female lead who’s name escapes me started off OK and got worse, she wasn’t terrible, but Murphy out acted her at every step. This movie could have been a lot better I think, the basic idea was quite cool, if not revolutionary, but Wes had to turn the final act into the same one he’s done one hundred times – bad dude chases hot girl though house with a knife. Pity. The first half was enjoyable, good at times, then the ending brings it right down. And let’s not forget the terrible FX shot when the hotel room gets blown up. 1st ½ - C+, 2nd ½ - C-. So a C overall.

Which brings us to The Manchurian Candidate. That’s the new one, not the original one. I haven’t seen the original, so am judging the film on its own merits, not against the source material – book or film. The acting on the whole is of a very high standard, Meryl and her on screen son (Lee Evan I believe) sanding out in particular. The story was interesting and well written, if a little far fetched (hopefully!), and the only bits I really didn’t like were the parts of the flashbacks/dreams to the brainwashing when the soldiers were on beds with what looked like old style hair driers with lots of stilly tubes coming off them. I enjoyed this film, wouldn’t say it was a classic, but a solid B. Just watched the Bluray commentary. Maybe I misread the flashbacks, and they are not meant to be accurate portrayals of what happened. Which would make them less rubbish.

P.S. Trying to eat very clean right now. Its damn difficult. I slip so easily at night. So I have had to allow for that a little. I keep my breakfast and my lunch super clean. Big salads, skinless chicken breasts, mixed beans and pulses, brown rice, sweet potato, veg. Then have the tastier stuff in the evening when I crave it, oats and raisins, cereal, eggs, peanut butter. Going OK, staying around 74kg, and body fat looking quite low, though I haven’t measured recently. Am starting to get a little tired though, trying to do 25 mins of HIIT cardio 5 days a week, not always managing.

May need to cut down on my total sets though, 5 days a week takes its toll. It Scotland next week though, so will be a partial week off. Will try and do some stuff, abs and chest and jogging or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment